Fire crews from Skokie, Evanston and Wilmette responded to a fire at Kaufman’s Bakery, 4905 Dempster St., on Sunday around 2 a.m.
An employee was inside cooking when a kitchen component malfunctioned and caught on fire, the Chicago Tribune reports. No one was injured, but the fire did enough damage to keep the fire crews on scene for more than two hours.
The bakery is currently closed and will reopen in a several weeks. This marks the second time in 56 years that the bakery has had to temporarily close shop. In 1985, Kaufman’s Bakery shut down after a salmonella outbreak was traced back to the store.