No Plea Bargain For Skokie Woman Charged in Crash That Killed Boy
A judge has ended any plea bargaining between prosecutors and a Skokie woman who is charged in a crash that killed a 9-year-old boy, the Chicago Tribune reports.
Hanin Goma, the 23-year-old Skokie resident that caused a chain-reaction accident that led to the death of 9-year-old Carter Vo, may now face trial as a judge has ended any sort of a plea bargaining, the Chicago Tribune reports.
On July 9, 2012, Goma plead not guilty at the Skokie Courthouse. Vo's father told the Tribune that he would accept a guilty plea in exchange for Goma serving five years in prison, a request she has since denied.
"It's bordering on torture for the boy's family to repeatedly return to court expecting resolution," Assistant State's Atty. Cathy Crowley told the Tribune.
Officials say Goma caused the crash on May 21 at the intersection of Main Street and St. Louis Avenue. Goma had just finished her shift working as a cashier at Grecian Kitchen in Skokie.
After punching out of work, Goma made a right turn to head eastbound on Main Street when she struck another vehicle, according to police. Goma's vehicle would ultimately lose control and hit Vo who was across the street on his bicycle. It was later revealed that Goma had amphetamines and marijuana in her system at the time of the crash, according to police.
Read our previous coverage -
- Gallery: Community Honors Carter Vo
- No Plea Deal in Crash That Killed 9-Year-Old
- Woman Pleads ‘Not Guilty’ in Crash That Killed Boy
- D69 to Host Carter Vo Memorial Ride
- D69 Community Hosts Carter Vo Fundraiser
- D69 Seeks Donations for Vo Memorial Ride
- Middleton Crosswalk Petition Raises Bigger Safety Concerns
- Skokie Woman Charged in Fatal Crash That Killed Boy
- Police Chief, Village Discusses Crime at Skokie Voice Forum
- Poll: How Should the Village Handle Crosswalk Safety Concerns?
- Village Looks to Improve Safety in Light of Tragedy
- Skokie Woman Indicted for Crash That Killed 9-Year-Old Boy
- Woman in Custody for Skokie Boy's Death
- BREAKING - Child Killed After Being Hit By Vehicle