Skokie Woman Writes Letter to Judge on Crash that Killed Boy
Skokie resident Hanin Goma was charged with killing 9-year-old Carter Vo in Skokie in May. On Thursday, Goma gave a Cook County judge a letter expressing her feelings about the tragic incident.
Hanin Goma, the 23-year-old Skokie resident that caused a chain reaction accident that led to the tragic death of 9-year-old Carter Vo, gave Cook County Circuit Court Judge Laruen Gottainer Edidin a letter expressing her feelings about the incident on Thursday, according to the Chicago Tribune.
The letter was not read out loud and Judge Edidin was the first to see it, the publication reported. According to the Tribune, Vo's father said he would be for Goma being sentenced to a five-year prison sentence in exchange for her agreeing to plead guilty to the case.
On May 21, Goma caused a three-car accident that ultimately took the life of 9-year-old Carter Vo. The accident occurred at the intersection of Main Street and St. Louis Avenue.
The unfortunate incident happened after Goma finished her shift working as a cashier at Grecian Kitchen, according to police. Goma then made a right turn to head eastbound on Main Street when another vehicle struck her car. In the end, Goma's vehicle would lose control and hit Vo who was across the street on his bicycle.
The story sparked a chain reaction across the community. Some residents posted signs (that are still present near the accident) saying “Slow down. Save a Child." Others feel the intersection is unsafe, especially since it is so close to a school. There were also community remembrances for Vo.
"It's very difficult for them, as it is for all families in this position," Sharon Johnson told the Tribune, who is a victim advocate with the Alliance Against Intoxicated Motorists. "This poor family is struggling every day with the loss of their little boy."
Read our previous coverage -
- Gallery: Community Honors Carter Vo
- No Plea Deal in Crash That Kill 9-Year-Old
- Woman Pleads ‘Not Guilty’ in Crash That Killed Boy
- D69 to Host Carter Vo Memorial Ride
- D69 Community Hosts Carter Vo Fundraiser
- D69 Seeks Donations for Vo Memorial Ride
- Middleton Crosswalk Petition Raises Bigger Safety Concerns
- Skokie Woman Charged in Fatal Crash That Killed Boy
- Police Chief, Village Discuss Crime at Skokie Voice Forum
- Poll: How Should the Village Handle Crosswalk Safety Concerns?
- Village Looks to Improve Safety in Light of Tragedy
- Skokie Woman Indicted for Crash That Killed 8-Year-Old Boy
- Woman in Custody for Skokie Boy's Death
- BREAKING - Child Killed After Being Hit By Vehicle