Snow Forecast for the North Shore
Always had a hunch for the weather and think you can feel it in your bones? Then check your stats with the North Shore's own meteorologist.
LAST WEEK: Weekend Weather Forecast for the North Shore
Winter has made quite a comeback in the last few weeks with an active weather pattern in place, including a snowy Friday on tap for the entire area with four to seven inches expected. While no heavy snow is in the forecast this weekend, there will be a few opportunities for some light precipitation. Temperatures will begin to moderate with highs in the mid 20s on Saturday and mid 30s on Sunday.
Saturday: Variable cloudiness with a 60 percent chance of snow showers continuing through 5 a.m. followed by a 40 percent chance of a few lake-effect snow flurries from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Snow Amounts: Trace to 0.75 inches
Low temp: 20 degrees Fahrenheit
High temp: 23 degrees Fahrenheit
Wind: Northeast winds at 6-13 mph, becoming SE by 12 p.m.
Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of drizzle, freezing drizzle and sleet from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. 60 percent chance of light rain and drizzle from 4 p.m. to midnight.
Precipitation Amounts: Trace to 0.05 inches
Low temp: 20 degrees Fahrenheit
High temp: 37 degrees Fahrenheit
Wind: Southeast at 10-18 mph
Monday: Mostly cloudy with a 60 percent chance of snow flurries from 12 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Snow Amounts: Trace to 0.25 inches
Low temp: 30 degrees Fahrenheit
High temp: 32 degrees Fahrenheit
Wind: West to northwest winds at 10-20 mph
Your Week Ahead: Jan. 20 to Jan. 27
An interesting weather pattern is shaping up during this time with a return to quieter and warmer conditions by the middle and end of next week as the airmass come in from the Pacific rather than from Canada.
Temperature Trends: Temperatures will average several degrees above normal
Precipitation Trends: Precipitation will average near normal
Weekend Pattern: A few weak disturbances moving through the northwest flow pattern will bring just light amounts of precipitation over the weekend. After the main snow event, some lingering snow showers are likely Saturday morning with possibly a few flurries coming in off the lake as winds shift more north and northeast for a time. Another system passing through on Sunday could bring some light mixed precipitation which would change over to rain. Precipitation amounts are expected to stay on the light side and may end up being more of a nuisance.
Early to Midweek Pattern: There is another weak system that will pass through on Monday with just a dusting of snow possible. Various computer models have been trending farther north with this system but highs will still manage to rise close to freezing by Monday afternoon. High pressure builds in for late Tuesday & Wednesday with quiet weather.
Late Week Pattern: There might be some sprinkles and flurries for a time Thursday ahead of a warm front; otherwise, a decent warm up is in store for the region with decent weather conditions and very little to no snow expected.
Temperatures: Temperatures will be off to a cold start with highs in the 20s today and Saturday with temps moderating into the 30s on Sunday and Monday. High temps will likely warm to near 40 by the middle and end of the week and this may help to melt the existing snow pack. Low temps will mostly be in the 20s through the next seven days.
Seasonal Total so far (Northeast Cook County-as of Jan. 19): 7.0 in.
Snow total so far in January: 6.0 in.
Average snow in January: 10.8 inches
Significant Snow Storm Index: No significant winter storms expected through Jan. 26