The Village of Skokie's alternate side parking is such a simple concept, but can be confusing to explain.
That being said, the village issued its first alternate side parking mandate for the 2013 year on Monday.
And according to the Skokie Police Department, drivers who disobey the alternate side parking will get a $50 ticket and run the risk of being towed. Yes, towed.
So how does it work?
- On even days of the month, after two inches or more of snowfall, all vehicles must be moved to the side of the street with even numbered addresses.
- On odd days of the month, after two inches or more of snowfall, all vehicles must be moved to the side of the street with odd numbered addresses.
Here is an example. It begins snowing heavily on Feb. 3 and it looks like more than two inches of snow will fall. You would want your vehicle on the EVEN side of the street on Feb. 4. Vice-versa on odd days.
Other notable things -
- You can tune to channel 17 on Comcast and channel 25 on RCN to see if alternate side parking is in effect.
- If you hear a siren around 7 a.m. that means alternate side parking is in effect.
- Alternate side parking is in effect from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week.
For more info, visit the village website, here.