The ComEd outage map shows hundreds of people without power Friday evening in Skokie, Niles and Morton Grove after a powerful storm, with hail, strong winds and sheets of rain, blew through around 6 p.m. Friday.
In addition, a fire was reported at two homes in the 7400 block of Kenneth and Kostner in Skokie, with two firefighters taken to the hospital in unknown condition. There was also a three-ambulance response to a crash at Caldwell Avenue and Jarvis in Niles. It is unknown at this time whether these incidents were related to the storm.
The Village of Skokie sent out an alert saying 3,000 homes were without power after the storm, and that the worst damage was in the area bounded by Dempster on the north and Main Street on the south, between Niles Center and Gross Point Road. It said Public Works crews will work through the weekend to clear storm debris.
Morton Grove Mayor Dan DiMaria posted on Facebook, "Storms came thru fast! PW (Public Works) & emergency crews on it even faster! Be patient. Please bring fallen branches to street and they will be picked up ASAP. Thanks to volunteers and staff!"
Taco Burrito King on Touhy near Milwaukee Avenue in Niles posted on Facebook that they closed because power went out.
The ComEd power outage map shows the following outages just before 8 p.m. Friday:
- 56 homes without power near Dempster and Ferris
- 651 homes without power near Harlem Avenue south of Golf
- 113 homes without power near Beckwith east of Lehigh
- 936 homes without power near Lincoln south of Howard
- 632 homes without power near Oakton and Skokie Boulevard
- 792 homes without power near Niles Center north of Dempster
- 129 homes without power near Skokie Boulevard south of Main
- 654 homes without power west of Harlem and north of Main
- 367 homes without power near Oakton and Greenwood
- 139 homes without power near Oakton and Washington
- 45 homes without power west of Maryhill cemetery and south of Dempster