Until dawn on Oct. 19, fishing for and possession of any trout is illegal in the Cook County forest preserves.
Officials are restocking the fishing spots at Axehead Lake, Belleau Lake, Horsetail Lake and the Busse Reservoir North Pool in preparation for trout fishing season this fall.
The trout lakes will be closed to all fishing from Monday, Oct. 14, until dawn of Oct. 19 so that the fish can distribute themselves throughout the lakes.
A few rules:
- there is a five trout per day limit with no size restrictions
- no more than two lines per person
- no more than two hooks per line
- a valid Illinois sport fishing license with Inland Trout Stamp needed for anyone 16 or older
- no license needed for disabled with a state of Illinois ID
- no license needed for active-duty military
Need more info? Consult the Forest Preserve Fishing Guide.