After a coyote ran off with a Glenview family's pet Yorkie near Roosevelt Avenue and Pinehurst Drive Monday, the village of Glenview is offering precautionary tips to pet owners.
Winter is a time when coyotes are likely to be out foraging for food, according to a press release from the village. It listed the following precautions to help keep people and their pets safe:
- Never attempt to feed a coyote. That's how most bites occur.
- Never leave pets unattended out of doors. Pets should be walked on a leash when outside and not left to run on their own in yards.
- Don't leave food bowls, toys or bones outside, and clean up scraps before dusk.
- Close garbage cans tightly, and even place them in a shed or a garage.
- Cover window wells and repair cracked porch stoops.
- Repair weak, rotted areas of roofs, soffits, fascia boards or wooden porch enclosures.