, the village announced yesterday. Klein Tools, 7200 McCormick Boulevard, will be demolished to make room for the grocery chain.
As of late, Skokie's been busy with strategic developments near the edge of its borders.
In February, the village board passed several measures that allowed a Walgreens to develop at 9956 Crawford Ave., or the soon-to-be former UBBA Tap building. Just across the street is Evanston. Many area residents, however, were opposed to the construction of "another Walgreens."
The Skokie Park District is also in the mix of building a massive sports park with three lighted baseball diamonds, a soccer field and even a place to play cricket.That construction will be located near Oakton Street and McCormick Boulevard.
Meanwhile, XSport Fitness is already under construction, and is set to be built next door to the newly-announced Mariano's Fresh Market. Touhy Marketplace, a large-scale development, will be anchored by a Super Walmart. There will also be several smaller stores like cell phone stores, banks and fast food chains. The entire trio is being built near Touhy Avenue and McCormick Boulevard; Lincolnwood and Chicago are just across the street.
the entire area was undeveloped. At the same time, some Lincolnwood residents became concerned with possible traffic congestion at Touhy Marketplace.
To switch things up, here are some numbers:
- Westfield Old Orchard Mall accounts for about 40 percent of all sales tax generated in the village.
- According to recent figures, the mall generated about $8.1 million from December 2008 through November 2009.
- Three-fourths of the accounted sales at Old Orchard Mall are from non-Skokie residents.
- Super Walmart is expected to generate about 350 jobs.
- The above is estimated to generate about $1.1 million in sales tax revenue annually.
- According to Tom Thompson, Skokie's economic development coordinator, Walmart's job gain will be the largest employment generator since North Shore Health Systems moved some 500 jobs into the Illinois Science and Technology Park in the mid 2000s.
- The 24-hour XSport Fitness, that will generate 200 jobs, according to Petery Peyer, the village's community development director.
- If you were to start from Touhy Avenue and McCormick Boulevard, the nearest Mariano's Fresh Market is 5.8 miles away, at 5353 Elston Ave., or about a 15 minute drive.
What readers are saying -
- Mike Reid writes "An excellent move and addition to the economy of Skokie. It takes a dead piece of property and adds it to the property and sales tax roles."
- Theresa H. wrote on Skokie Patch's Facebook wall, "This should be great for us. With all the options, pricing should become pretty competitive."
- Vnessa H. said, "There will NOT be competition, this mega market will close all the small shops. Just watch."
We want to know what you think! Share your thoughts below.