It took us a while to come up with a list of what to get our dads for Father's Day. In our experience, dads are infinitely more difficult to shop for than moms. After all, how many Craftsman screwdrivers does a person really need?
Luckily, we've scoured the Internet and came out with these ideas for some last minute gift ideas for Father's Day 2012. Also, just because you haven't gotten a gift for dad yet doesn't mean you don't care. It just means you wanted the most time to think about getting the best gift to get is.
1. Baseball tickets: Save the date, and buy the man that taught you to throw a ball a couple of tickets to an Orioles game this summer. Make it a trip for just the two of you, or invite the whole family along. When you're there, get him a couple of beers, a couple of hotdogs or some Cracker Jacks. Treat dad to the home-game memories he gave you as a child.
2. iPhone: Apparently there are still people in this world who don't have a smartphone. If your dad has been fiddling with yours, take the hint. He wants an iPhone, and all the little pleasures that come with it: virtual poker, Angry Birds, price checker apps, Facebook, Siri, GPS and more.
3. Gift certificate to Home Depot, Strosniders, Sears: Or whichever home improvement store floats the boat of your father's renovation dreams. Look, maybe Dad really just wants another screwdriver. Who are we to stop him? Let him pick out all the screwdrivers in the world, and a few 2x4s to screw together with a decent gift certificate. It's not cheating. Everyone likes gift certificates.
4. Framed picture of the kids: We'll wait for your "awwwws" and fuzzy feelings to die down… Are you an older child? Off to college for the first time? Did you take a job two states away and can't get home as often as you'd like? Frame a few pictures of your favorite family memories for Dad, and do a nice job of it. Print a few 5x7s and 8x10s, color correct the red-eye and mat the photos with his favorite colors. Is that too artsy-craftsy for you? A nice SD card frame would suffice -- just remember to load some pictures on it first.
5. Steak: Your dad's summer station is in front of his grill -- marinating, flipping and cursing his way to the best burgers you've ever had ever. Show Dad you appreciate his culinary expertise with some high quality meat.
6. Board games: We're not talking your old Shoots and Ladders. No Candy Land for your old man. Board games have evolved since you were 10. We recommend Settlers of Catan and 7 Wonders. Looking for more ideas? Wired came out with a best of list you can check out here.
7. K-Cup coffee machine: If you haven't checked these out, do so ASAP. They are great for any dad on the go that loves his caffeine.
8. Movie gift certificates: Summer movie season is coming up. Give dad a chance to get some alone time, or take mom out on a relaxing date.
9. Golf date: Were none of these ideas good enough for you and your dad? If cost and time are no issue, we recommend some good, old-fashioned, father-child bonding time. Spring for a round of golf and dinner afterward, and while you’re at it, take a few more pictures to put in the SD Card Frame you're also getting.
10. You tell us: A local wine or brewery tour? An afternoon of peace for a well-deserved nap? What have you given dad that others can use? Tell us in comments.