While the village of Skokie has completed construction, repavement, new crossings and other improvements on Lincoln Avenue, from Galitz Street to Niles Center Road, Oakton Street east of Lincoln is reduced to one lane in each direction as crews do road work.
The village of Skokie reports the following work in downtown Skokie.
Activities planned for the north side of Oakton Street between Lincoln and Niles Avenues:
- Continue replacement of curb, gutter, sidewalk and driveways
Activities planned for Niles Avenue from Oakton Street south to the first alley:
- Complete restoration of curb, gutter and sidewalk
Activities planned for the south side of Oakton Street between Niles Avenue and Skokie Boulevard:
- Complete removal of curb, gutter and sidewalk
- Begin restoration of curb, gutter and sidewalk
Street surface preparation ("milling"), followed by pavement patching, is planned for:
- Oakton Street from Lincoln to Niles Avenue
- Babb Avenue from Oakton Street to Lincoln Avenue
- Warren Street from Lincoln Avenue to Niles Avenue
- Niles Avenue from Oakton street south to the first alley
Installation of a median on Oakton Street from Lincoln to Babb Avenues is underway. Installation of brick pavers will continue throughout the project area, as will installation of street lights and parking lot lights. Planters in the project area will be filled with soil. Installation of highly visible pedestrian crosswalks will take place in mid- to late-October at Babb Avenue and Oakton Street and at Niles Avenue at Oakton Street (east-west crossings only).
Phases 1 and 2 of the project are complete. Phase 3 is scheduled for completion by mid-October. The entire project is anticipated to conclude in November 2013.