- Restore a nature area near Waukegan Road and Lake Street. It's part of National Public Lands Day. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., all welcome.
- Browse the Niles North High School Fine Arts Parents Rummage Sale. You can find a bargain and benefit arts students, too. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A Northwestern grad made a feature film, Approaching Midnight, which is screening at Wilmette Theater. It's about an Iraq veteran who returns to his small hometown to face death, corruption and deception. It also has a lot of TV stars in it. Screening 7:30 p.m. Friday, with a discussion by the director afterward.
- Niles West High School will present the drama "The Dream of the Burning Boy" Thursday through Saturday. It examines how a teacher, and a class, react to the death of a student.
- Patricia Mejia's art, including surreal scapes and watercolors of historic Evanston scenes, is on display at Evanston Subaru in Skokie, 5 to 9 p.m.
- Bring Fido and Skippy to the Blessing of the Animals, Sunday at noon at Temple Judea Mizpah.
- And if you don't have a pet yet, come meet them, and maybe take a fancy to one, when Room and Board furniture store on Skokie Boulevard hosts a Meet and Greet with Placing Paws of Illinois. Noon to 4 p.m. Sunday.