Friday, May 24, 2013
As our armed forces come home from the Middle East, the local Veterans Affairs benefits office is being stretched.
Our veterans are now facing a new enemy at home--long wait times for their disability claims. The waiting times started increasing in 2010 when U.S. troops were withdrawn from Iraq causing a dramatic uptick in first-time filers, according to the Center for Investigative Reporting. The data found that in most regional VA offices, not only did waiting times increase, but they vary dramatically with location: about a year and five months in Baltimore, Maryland compared to four months in Fargo, North Dakota. The national average now stands at about eleven months, which is dramatically higher than in 2009 when it was four months. Data for the Chicago VA Regional Office shows that as of May 13, 2013, veterans waited an average of 501 days (…
A small batch brewery on the North Shore has some options for those of you looking to bring a delicious, local beer to your Memorial Day celebration.
Heading to a Memorial Day barbecue this weekend and looking to bring something more creative than buns or brats? Try some really tasty beer. After finishing an interview last week at Inovasi, I stumbled into Lake Bluff Brewery for the first time. Patch has written about these guys before, but I actually didn't know the place existed until reading about it as the final destination of an awesome day-long bike ride in the Chicago Reader. It was around 5 p.m. on Friday when I walked in and the place was packed, but not too busy that the friendly bartender couldn't find time to let me sample a few beers. I tried the Derailleur first, since, for better or for worse, IPAs are typically my starting point. Then, I tried the Skull and Bones Double …
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Who’s NOT planning a BBQ this weekend? If the weather holds and you’ve got propane or charcoal, chances are you’re grilling something with your friends and family. Here, new ideas for keeping your costs down. Sponsored by Home Depot.
Here at Patch, we like to be thrifty, so we talked to two barbeque experts and uncovered some really good ideas to help you save money on your next outdoor party. 1. Start with a marinade. This means planning ahead -- say, Friday. But it’s worth it, says Rick Browne, host of Barbeque America on PBS, because you can pass up that well-marbled ribeye steak and buy a less tender and less expensive choice to grill like a flank steak or chuck steak. Just marinate it or brine for one or two days and then cook long and slow on the barbeque grill to break down tissues but maintain moisture. “You need to include an acid in the marinade, perhaps juice, vinegar or soy sauce, but avoid cola which is so acidic it can turn meat into a soggy mess.” Try …
Monday, May 28, 2012
Construction activities have been restricted to prevent impact on traffic; temporary lane closures have also been suspended.
Monday, May 28, 2012
Information provided by the Illinois Tollway. The Illinois Tollway is expecting approximately 7 million vehicles will travel the Tollway system this Memorial Day holiday from Friday, May 25, through Tuesday, May 29, and is reminding customers to drive safely when traveling in construction work zones throughout the Illinois Tollway system. Check out Patch's commuter central page before you head out on the road: We've got traffic updates and round-ups of the cheapest gas around town. The Tollway expects the heaviest travel on Friday, May 25, when nearly 1.6 million vehicles are projected to be on the road. On an average day, about 1.4 million vehicles use the Tollway. The Tollway is restricting construction activity and suspending all …
Check out how garbage pick up has changed for the holiday.
Sunday, May 27, 2012
A round-up of what's going on around town Monday.
Memorial Day is a time to bring the family together to honor our country's veterans. To showcase some celebrations around town, Skokie Patch has provided a round-up of events and tips. Please share how you celebrate in the comments below. Skokie Park District Hosts Rededication, Observance Dignity Memorial Shares Tips to Honor Veterans Share your Memorial Day memories and celebrations on Skokie Patch's Facebook page, or in the comments below.
Saturday, May 26, 2012
Patch serves up some potato salad for the holiday weekend.
- THE NEIGHBORHOOD FILES
- On Skokie Patch
Saturday, May 26, 2012
Friday, May 25, 2012
Hot and humid weather will dominate much of the holiday weekend with the best chance of rain Friday night and early Saturday, and again on Memorial Day itself. The best days for that outdoor barbecue will be midday Saturday or Sunday with no rain expected
Saturday: Mostly cloudy in the morning with a 40 percent chance of showers/t-storms from 12 a.m. through 9 a.m. It will become partly sunny and breezy during the afternoon with a 25 percent chance of an isolated shower or t-storm from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Rain Amounts: 0.15 to 0.40 inches Low temp: 60 degrees Fahrenheit High temp: 83 degrees Fahrenheit Wind: Southeast at 10-20 with gusts to 25 mph Sunday: Partly sunny, windy and hot. Low temp: 65 degrees Fahrenheit High temp: 91 degrees Fahrenheit Wind: Southwest at 15-25 with gusts to 30 mph Memorial Day: Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of scattered showers/t-storms from 4 a.m. to 10 a.m. 60 percent chance of occasional showers/t-storms from 9 …
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
The Better Business Bureau is urging consumers and donors to be on the lookout for deals that seem too good to be true, and also for disreputable charities.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Memorial Day is a time to honor those who serve our country and remember those who have died in service. But sadly, it has also become an opportunity for scammers to target active service members and elderly veterans. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is urging consumers and donors to be on the lookout for deals that seem too good to be true, and also for disreputable charities. “The unique lifestyle of our service members makes them prime targets for scammers,” says Dana Badgerow, President and CEO of the BBB. “It’s imperative that we educate our service members and ensure that the support we give to them equals the effort they make every day on behalf of us.” “Donors also need to watch out for questionable charities that raise funds on …
Friday, June 3, 2011
Each Friday Patch will highlight the area's biggest news headlines in the Weekly PatchCast. Tune in to watch at noon.
Click on the video to see what's happened in Patch sites around you this week: Skokians Connected to Large Gambling, Drug, Racketeering Ring. UPDATE: Judge Denies New Trier Senior's Request To Walk At Graduation. Behind The Scenes: Selling The 'Home Alone' House. High School Junior Creates iPhone App. VFW Post Pays Tribute On Memorial Day.